Information

Bee sting and wasp sting

Bee sting and wasp sting

How do you know if you have an allergy to bee stings? And what if a bee stings my child?

Bee and wasp stings They are common in spring and summer, when there are more pollen and wasps and bees are most active. Are the children who are usually the most affected, usually in the feet and hands.

The usual reaction to a sting is a Intense pain at the moment, with the formation of a papule (reddish lifting of the skin with a central point where the insect acted). There may be edema progressive in the next 24 hours and then a itchy sensation tremendous for the next few days.

These symptoms can be very bothersome for longer if we do not apply a remedy right after suffering the bite. From a simple removal of poison and application of mud if we are in the field with no other remedy at hand, until the application of pharmaceutical products designed to relieve the itch or pain of the sting.

But the real problem arises when one has allergy to bee or wasp stings, because in these cases, by not receiving the appropriate treatment against their allergic reaction, it can become so serious that it can even lead to death in a matter of a very short time. For this reason, it is important to know how to recognize the symptoms of a possible allergy to bee stings, and to know how to react in time.

Development of an allergic reaction to bee or wasp stings:

In general, the allergy to this type of bite occurs in people who are sensitized to the venom of these insects. It is rare to have a violent reaction from your body at the first sting. The development of an allergy usually has three phases:

  • With the first sting, the person becomes sensitized to the poison, without knowing it because the symptoms they present are normal.
  • With the second sting, an allergic reaction of varying severity occurs. It is in this phase when we are in time to know whether or not we are at risk of being allergic to bee stings, since they produce easily recognizable external signs:
    • Generalized skin redness>
    • Swelling in other areas away from the sting site
    • Palpitations
    • Choking sensation in throat
    • A general malaise

    If you suffer from this type of reaction it is advisable to go to the emergency room to control it, and then visit your doctor for allergy tests.

  • If a third sting occurs, it can cause a violent allergic reaction called anaphylactic shock. It is severe, manifesting as difficulty breathing or swallowing, paleness, and rapid heartbeat. Symptoms that occur within the first half hour and up to two hours later. It is extremely important to take the patient to the emergency room immediately if they have this type of reaction to a bee or wasp sting, as it can cause death in just half an hour if they do not receive the appropriate treatment.

If a child or an adult experiences an allergic reaction, it is very important to always have the medications indicated by your doctor on hand in case that situation happens again.

What to do in the event of a massive sting of bees or wasps:

When it comes to a massive sting, that is, of ten or more bees or wasps, a severe reaction occurs due to the amount of venom injected, in this case it is necessary to go to an Emergency Service immediately. The symptoms are: diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and nausea.

First aid in case of bee or wasp sting:

When the wasp stings, the venom causes an intense burning in the place, which resembles a burn.
When the sting is of a bee, it introduces the lancet into the skin with a bag that is stuck behind. This sac is a bag of poison that the bee gives off and then dies. Then you have to follow the following steps:

  • Do not squeeze the bag so as not to introduce the poison into the bite
  • Detach the sac and lancet with a needle
  • For about 20 minutes, rub the affected area with a cotton ball with baking soda, meat tenderizer or with deodorant that has aluminum (almost all antiperspirants have it). This neutralizes the venom, reduces pain, and prevents a more serious reaction.
  • Take pain reliever for the next few hours

Go to the emergency room in case of one or more of the following symptoms:

      • Swelling of the ankle or wrist, if the sting is in a limb
      • Difficulty swallowing and / or breathing
      • Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea
      • Dizziness and general malaise


Video: Theres A Better Way To Treat A Bee Sting. Better. NBC News (January 2022).